J. Lauritzen's Eftf.'s history goes a long way back - quite exactly back to 1884.
Throughout the years the company has been through a remarkable development, and the has moved into new, exciting directions.
It was decided to build the port of Esbjerg in 1868 because Denmark had lost the port of Altona in connection with the defeat of Prussia. With the loss of Altona Harbor, Denmark needed a new port to the west.
J. Lauritzen was established as a trading company of timber by Ditlev Lauritzen in Esbjerg.
Ditlev Lauritzen sees new opportunities in shipping and acquires his first damper, "Uganda" in 1888.
In 1893, Ditlev Lauritzen was appointed French consul and received the nickname "The Consul". He begins to concentrate seriously on shipping activities and establishes the company "Dampskibsselskabet Vesterhavet" in 1895.
After a very active effort for the city and the harbor of Esbjerg Ditlev Lauritzen moves the company J. Lauritzen to Copenhagen.
J. Lauritzen shipbrokers Esbjerg, is sold and taken over by Consul A.C.M. Schmidt.
The company changes its name to J. Lauritzen's Eftf. to avoid confusion with the company J. Lauritzen in Copenhagen.
Anders Nielsen Svarrer are employed as apprentices. After completing his education in 1939, he travels abroad to work, returns to Denmark, and works in Copenhagen for a number of years.
in 1947 A.N. Svarrer returns to Esbjerg and joins the company in 1952 as a co-owner.
The shipping company A.N. Svarrer is founded. In the coming years until 1984, the company manages a fleet of 22 coasters between 400 to 1200 tdw.
A.N. Svarrer sees the possibilities in owning ships and starts a new collaboration with the vessel engineer Erik F. Jacobsen from Ringkøbing. Their cooperation starts with the first freighter "Elselil" - named after Svarrer's wife Else.
Ship-owner A.N. Svarrer takes over J. Lauritzen’s Eftf. as sole proprietor.
Knud Svarrer enters the company after having finished his commercial shipping education.
J. Lauritzen’s Eftf. Shipbrokers are turned into a limited company, A/S J. Lauritzen’s Eftf.
In the same year, in collaboration with Alfragt A / S, a stevedore and warehouse company, which develops into JUTLANDIA Terminal ApS, is being launched.
A.N. Svarrer passes away and his son, Knud Svarrer, takes over the company.
Knud Svarrer is appointed French consul in Esbjerg.
JUTLANDIA Terminal ApS, consisting of warehouses of 8400 m2 and 40,000 m2 open area, is inaugurated.
A/S J. Lauritzen’s Eftf. Esbjerg moves into new offices of 1100 m2 in the centre of the harbor of Esbjerg.
JUTLANDIA Terminal has its first job as an offshore base in collaboration with J. Lauritzen's Eftf.
The first inter-European traffic with trucks starts.
A/S J. Lauritzen’s Eftf., Esbjerg celebrates its 100th anniversary.
A/S J. Lauritzen’s Eftf. launches swap body and container freight to Italy, which over time are developed to become one of the company’s main activities.
A/S J. Lauritzen’s Eftf. takes over JUTLANDIA Terminal ApS as sole proprietor and turns it into a Limited Company.
A new office is opened in Italy. The office is shut down in 1992 and in 2010 a new office and warehouse in Italy is opened once again.
Knud Svarrer passes away and his two sons, Kasper og Kristian Svarrer, takes over the company.
Der åbnes kontor i Støvring nær Aalborg, hvorfra der primært fokuseres på transport af køl- og frysevarer.